Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'm sitting here watching Grey's Anatomy while my beauty's sleep in their beds, and something is nagging at me to write. So here I am. I'll catch the rerun. We had a good day. Each day I see the changes emerging..some slowly, some so fast I almost don't realize it. That may sound so strange, but it's like your on pause for so long, and then someone hits fast forward and you can barely keep up. Unless you take a good hard look at where you were a few months ago, you almost don't realize the progress. I'm so busy with running around, taking Wyatt to school, and rushing back for therapy, for team meetings, cooking, cleaning, laundry, speech, the list goes on and on. But the great thing is, that there are these moments when it is just peaceful, times when the boys and I are having fun, enjoying each other. Usually it's in the car, I'll blast the music and start bopping my head and singing at the top of my lungs, and they laugh. And somtimes they dance too. Or when Colton's upset in the car, and Wyatt tries to hold his hand to make him feel better, and tells him that it's ok. Or when we pick Wyatt up from school, and he runs and hugs me, and then gives Colton huge hugs and says "hi baby Colton" with such pure glee. Or when his beautiful brown eyes stare into mine when he sees how happy he's made me, or when he's proud of himself and he sees the happiness in me. We have such a great connection. There are moms out there with children on the spectrum that don't get alot of affection from their child. They would do anything for that closeness. I am blessed. Every morning when Wyatt wakes up, he'll come into my bed and asks to cuddle. He asks me if I'm happy and tells me to rub his back and some mornings he'll let Colton plant a very sloppy kiss on his cheek. These are moments that I hold so dear to me. I can't believe how far we've come. I remember driving Wyatt to preschool last spring and on the long drive home, we would pass things, and he would say "CC", and I knew he meant, "What's that?". I remember thinking, wow, I wonder what it would be like if he just could say the words...what would that feel like?? The why's, where's, what's, and who's were something I didn't foresee happening for quite awhile, but within 4 months, he is there. It feels so amazing. To know what he wants, to see how happy he is that I get what he is saying. Everyday I see the light going on in his head a little more. He is playing with different kids at school all the time, he comes home with new names of kids all the time, and even tells stories about what they did at school. This may seem strange to some, how this is such an accomplishment, but it is. Before, I would ask him how his day was, what he had for snack, who he played with and I just got silence. Now as long as I ask the questions, I will get the answer. Hopefully soon, he'll just come home and tell me all that he did. The other day, in the bath, I noticed a scratch on his knee and I asked what happened, expecting something like "owie", mommy kiss it better." Instead I got," owie on knee, a boy did it, with blocks, but no big deal, accident." We are having mini conversations. It is a beautiful thing. He also has quite the imagination. Every morning he wakes up with what he wants to do that day. Usually it is something that we can't do, like going 0n an airplane to see papa. Or going on a train with his friend Sam, who by the way, I use him as my example for everything. Wyatt looks up to Sam, wants to be like Sam, so I use the Sam card whenever I can. Sam goes on the potty, Sam eats his food, You're a big boy like Sam, Sam doesn't use soothers(which are gone now), Sam is a big boy, so Wyatt will be a big boy just like Sam. I actually think that Colton is harder to deal with these days than Wyatt. Just regular toddler chaos, but he is harder than Wyatt now. I am so happy for that. It is so nice to be able to enjoy Wyatt, to connect, to see the changes and the progress and to know that all of the therapy and time and help and prayers are working. I am blessed.
xoxojax

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL Story ; with a HAPPY EVER AFTER ENDING !!! You ARE Blessed !! WE are Blessed !! HE is so Blessed to have a MOM as Special as YOU !!! You are doing great progress with Wyatt, and it shows every day in everything Wyatt does daily. His HAPPINESS,your HAPPINESS, is a joint effort of your strong LOVE for each other and it shows through. Keep up the hard and great work.....love ya both.... Terry

Anonymous said...

This is funny....I just noticed you updated Wyatts p rofile pic !!! When did you do this....boy am I blind !!! lol Give BIG SMOOCHES to our Boys for me. P.S. Santa is waiting for their "Wish Lists" !!!

Diana said...

This is so neat, a way for you to vent and pass along your story. I have seen huge improvements in Wyatt, and I know that they will continue. He is such a great little guy. You are very blessed to have two sweet little boys. Time will only make things better, which is great because each day can be better than the day before.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog Jackie, it's very inspiring and I want to say I admire you so much :) Good luck with everything and have a great 2009
<3 Megan McClarty