Monday, July 28, 2008

Crazy times

I was completely overwhelmed and had a bad case of the baby blues after Colton came. With both of the boys I did get depressed after they were born. I never had any crazy thoughts towards them, I was happy with them, but miserable with myself and my life. I thought that I failed as a mother, a wife, a friend, a person. I couldn't get ahold of my life. Nothing seemed mine anymore. The baby blues lasted for about 4 months with Colton, but I think alot of that was mixed emotions about our little Wyatt. There was a moment in time when I think we both knew that we were dealing with something more than typical behaviour. We were at a halloween kid party at the local community hall and both of our boys were dressed up along with a bunch of other toddlers. There were games, snacks, fun stuff for the children. There was a bowling pumpkin game that Wyatt loved. He just wanted to play it over and over. Other kids wanted their turn and he would be pretty patient about waiting but did not want to try any other games. We tried persuading him with treats, other games but no luck. He finally blew up, screamed so loud the whole hall stopped, was silent and everyone stared at us. Jord took him outside for a timeout, we tried again, more screaming, then we left. On the way home we had a good talk. We were sad for Wyatt and sad for ourselves. We just wanted to enjoy taking him places, showing him things, involving him in things, but unlike most parents, we were always battling the meltdowns. It's hard to watch friends and family with kids the same age as yours who don't have these issues. It makes me sad. We knew that we needed some answers.

No comments: